Media & Publications
For many people, a graphic report produced by ABC1’s Four Corners program on alcohol-fuelled violence is further proof that the community needs to rethink its relationship with alcohol.
For other, it’s a huge wakeup call.
Punch Drunk deals with what doctors, paramedics and police have called a crisis. The Australian Drug Foundation (ADF) agrees.
This is about the health and safety of our community. Alcohol’s annual cost is estimated at more than $15 billion.
There are straight forward steps we can take to reduce the damage to our community.
The ADF is calling on governments around Australia to:
- Adopt the successful Newcastle model – reduce trading hours and introduce lockouts;
- Reduce density of on-premises venues and packaged liquor outlets;
- Tax all alcohol products by volume, not price;
- Preferentially tax low alcohol products;
- End alcohol marketing to young people.
Research shows what is effective – the challenge is to insist that politicians and policymakers act on it.